Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Story

INFANT ECZEMA
I have always had eczema, even as an infant. In those days they did not know of the connection between health and cow's milk. I was given cow's milk at age 4 months which was far too soon for my young and under developed digestive system! I developed eczema soon afterwards, cows milk being my only food. I am so glad that modern medicine now knows the harmful effects of cows milk on such a young digestive system and the importance of breastfeeding!

From ASK DR SEARS: The longer you breastfeed, the less chance your child has of developing allergic diseases, such as eczema and asthma. Breast milk is rich in an immuno-globulin called secretory IGA, which acts as a protective paint, coating the intestines and keeping food allergens out of the bloodstream. Breast milk keeps the intestinal lining healthy and better able to break down proteins into individual amino acids. The amino acids themselves are not likely to cause allergies when they get into the bloodstream. Intestines that are damaged due to infection or inflamed by foreign milk or formula may allow whole protein molecules to seep through, setting up an allergic reaction in the bloodstream. To further decrease the risk of developing food allergies, it would be wise for a breastfeeding mother to keep the most allergenic foods out of her diet until her baby is at least one year of age.  Source
In Get Healthy Now, Professor Null explains a milk allergy's changing symptoms "Even if the symptoms are not the same, the underlying allergy may be. A child who has suffered milk-associated asthma, for instance, may have severe acne as a teenager. The milk allergy is still there, but its symptoms have moved to a different organ system, often misleading the patient and physician into thinking that the original allergy has been outgrown." According to Alternative Medicine, up to half of all infants may be sensitive to cow's milk. As a result, symptoms of an underlying milk allergy may start as early as infancy, only manifested as eczema, a symptom that may remain later on in childhood and adulthood. Furthermore, in addition to asthma and eczema, an underlying milk allergy may manifest as bronchitis, sinusitis, autoimmune disorders, frequent colds and ear infections and even behavioral problems. Source

TRIGGERS
Throughout my life eczema would come and go in intervals, but it was always there, waiting to creep up whenever my immune system was down (stress, illness, you name it) and sometimes it would just creep up for no apparent reason, or trigger that I could recognize. I never even looked for it.
As a child I used to have it on the corners of my mouth and inside of elbows and on my hands. As an adult it remained on my hands. During winter it used to be a lot worse than summer - I now know that during winter months my diet contained almost 0 fresh fruits and vegetables, it was all dairy, breads, wheat, grain and some frozen vegetables. And sweets of course, all those processed foods.

WORSE DIET AND MORE STRESS
I was in a tough life situation and was under a lot of stress. My hands got so bad, that I was unable to put them under water, let alone use shampoo or do dishes! I had to start wearing gloves. Of course I had a prescription cream I could use. It was one of those, good old "suppress the symptom" kind of a cream which would remove the symptoms pretty quickly. Yes, that cream was packed with steroids which are poison to the body and I do not want to go into what they do to the liver!  
All eczema creams and pills contain steroids and that is why they work! They suppress the symptoms, body's attempt to eliminate toxins which go back into the liver. That is why they are so toxic to the body! I did not know that then. Even the best dermatologist told me to use it as little as possible as it thins out the skin in the long run. And that is the ONLY thing that this best dermatologists had to say about it! He was unable to give me any explanation of why I got it, and of course, no cure.

Dyshidrosis (I borrowed this image because this is pretty close to what my hands used to look like)


THE END OF THE LINE
In the last 5 years before I changed my diet, my health declined rapidly. I got acne, I got sinus allergies, I felt fatigued nearly all the time, terribly constipated, eczema got worse than ever.
When eczema got so bad that no cream could stop it and I could no longer do my work nor hobbies, I knew I need a change, I knew I needed to find a permanent solution! I "Googled" natural cures for eczema and found a great website by Donia Alawi who has cured herself from eczema 10 years ago and she is still healthy! She has changed her diet and it has paid off! She went on 99% all plant based diet with a high (75%) raw intake!
This was the 1st time in my life that I have heard of eczema being curable, being a skin symptom of a digestive dysfunction rather than a mysterious skin disease! I am profoundly grateful to her for creating a great and informative website which has helped me with information and inspiration and I too can now write about eczema in past tense!

In May 2010 I embarked on a journey of health, just to see if that could be true for me as well! It was and it still is!

What I did was this:
1) I went to have a colon hydrotherapy and got rid of a lot of old old toxins! My constipation was gone as well!
2) I started taking probiotics to maintain good intestinal flora and plant based natural digestive enzymes to help me digest cooked food
3) My diet was 100% plant based high raw 75% alkaline.
 I ate all raw fruits and vegetables except for one cooked vegan meal a day. I avoided all dairy, meats, soy, all processed, fried, oily, etc foods and drinks. I ate whole foods and drank clean water (no chlorine, no fluoride).
During morning I ate all fruits (I would add 1 green smoothie using fresh dandelion or fresh spinach or kale etc) .... I had lots of peaches, bananas, dates, watermelon, whatever is in season. If I was not allergic I would have had oranges and grapefruit.
Lunch (1-2 pm) was a cooked vegan meal
and dinner (4-7) large green salad with some baked potatoes or green smoothie before that.... or more fruits before salad.... it all depended on the day.

I learned that I was allergic to dairy products, meat, soy, yeast, citrus, tomatoes, eggplant and all vinegars. I learned that by observation, seeing cause and effect. I was unsure of gluten,so I kept away from all possible allergens just in case, until I saw that I was ok with it. I kept monitoring my body's reactions - that is the most important thing one can do!

I am glad that I got eczema, because it was my body's alarm saying that it was out of balance! I am glad that my body reacted outwardly, that it did not deposit toxins inside some organ, only to burst out later in life with cancer! Too many people get a lot sicker due to the same underlying causes!
It took me 34 years to "hear" my body and to do something about it!




These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This is anecdotal evidence based on my own experience and observations. Following or using my personal treatment as illustrated in this blog is at your own risk.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Finding ideas to write about is one of the hardest things about running a blog. Please visit http://goo.gl/yh5jtu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foderma serum has helped us deal with our son's eczema over the past year or so - it does the job when many other products we've tried, does not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your tips are very useful. thanks for posting.
    skin doctor

    ReplyDelete